Large dogs have their own nutritional requirements when compared to small dogs, puppies and seniors. So, what is the best dog food for large dogs?
To begin with, it’s important that they eat a diet that supports their large frame and keeps their joints healthy. If you’ve got a big dog, then you want to buy food that’s made with them in mind. Find out why these five brands made it to the top of our list.
NOTE: Savetastic is an Amazon Affiliate. When you use Amazon links in our articles to buy products, we may earn a commission but that in no way affects our editorial independence.
Hill’s Science Diet dog food is formulated by veterinarians, recommended by veterinarians and meets Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) standards. A dog’s nutritional needs are very different from a human’s needs, which is why it took a team of vets to come up with varying proportions of essential nutrients and vitamins for this brand of dog food. Their large breed, dried food supports big dogs in the following ways:
- Made with high quality, easy to digest ingredients.
- Natural sources of glucosamine & chondroitin for joint health
- Omega-6s & Vitamin E for healthy skin & coat
- High-quality protein for lean muscles
A 35 lb bag costs about $55 on Amazon.
Purina makes our list because, like Hill’s, their pet food is formulated by a veterinary nutrition specialist and meets AAFCO standards. Their large breed food is made with real chicken and does not contain legumes as a source of protein. Research has shown that dog foods with legumes, such as peas, can cause dilated cardiomyopathy in dogs. Purina’s all chicken formula will make sure to keep your pet’s heart healthy. Their food also has:
- Glucosamine and EPA, an omega-3 fatty acid, for joint health and mobility
- High protein promotes muscle conditioning when combined with proper exercise
- Natural prebiotic fiber nourishes specific intestinal bacteria for digestive health
- 26% Protein and 12% fat maintain an ideal weight and body condition
- Omega-6 fatty acids and vitamin A to nourish skin and coat
A 34 lb bag costs about $46 with Amazon Prime membership.
According to Gregory Gstrein, an associate veterinarian at VCA Animal Hospital in Crown Valley, California, “The best foods are backed by actual research and feeding trials. Royal Canin does the extensive work needed to prove their foods yield excellent real-world results.”
To give you an idea about how precise the formula is, the Royal Canin Large Adult Dry Food is made for large breed dogs between the ages of 15 months to 5 years old, weighing between 56-100 lbs. There are other formulas for puppies and large breeds that are 5+ years of age. This dry food:
- Promotes healthy digestion with easy-to-digest high-quality proteins and a balanced supply of fiber
- Helps support bones and joint health in large breed dogs
- Nourishes healthy skin and coat with Omega 3 fatty acids, EPA and DHA
- Exclusive large-sized kibble design is highly palatable
A 35 lb bag costs about $70 on Amazon with Prime Membership.
Large breed puppies have their own nutritional needs and Orijen is one the highest quality dog foods for them. They offer formulas for large breed puppies, adults, and seniors. What makes their product so special? Orijen uses real meat in their food that comes from several types of animals to provide your dog with a full spectrum of amino acids. Their Original formula contains:
- 85% quality animal ingredients
- ⅔ fresh or raw poultry and fish
- Chicken meat, organs, and cartilage
- Turkey meat, organs, and cartilage
- Cage free eggs
- Whole, wild-caught herring
- Whole, wild-caught flounder